Welcome to our Advanced Wound Care Program!
Please book appointments by calling us at (780)907-2082 or by filling out our contact form.
Each year approximately 450 Albertans undergo a diabetes-related lower-limb amputation. Sadly, 85% of these amputations are preventable. The potential implications resulting from an amputation are even more concerning – studies show that the five-year survival rate following an amputation is lower than many forms of cancer. It is safe to say amputations are not benign.
Our “Cast Clinic & Limb Preservation” services are committed to promoting excellence in the clinical care of High Risk Feet, diabetes-related foot complications, research and education with the overall goal being limb preservation.
- Self, Physician or Insurer Referrals accepted
- Comprehensive Health History Intake with client and Wound Specialist
- Initial Appointment – Lower Limb Assessment to determine baseline limb health, capacity to heal and first wound care treatment/debridement. Assessments include:
a. Ankle Brachial Pressure Index (ABI)
b. Toe Brachial Index/Pressures (TBI)
c. Diabetic Foot Screen
d. Sensation Testing (Monofilament/Tuning Fork)
e. Skin/Nail Assessments
f. Off-Loading options such as Total Contact Casting, knee scooter, I-Walk Hands Free Crutch, other mobility aids.
g. Circulation Support options such as compression wraps/stockings, neuromuscular stimulation, exercises
h. Aids for daily activities such as shower covers/benches, other
i. Emergency/Travel Wound Care Kit for home use
- Comprehensive Education – verbal/written, regarding the importance of debridement, off-loading, best-practice wound care, phases of wound healing, eating well for wound healing and more as required.
- Specialist referrals as required to:
d. Massage Therapy
e. Orthopedic Surgery
g. Functional Capacity/Gait Assessment
h. Vascular Surgeon
i. Plastic Surgeon
j. Social Worker
- Follow-up Appointments – Include debridement, best-practice wound care, advanced adjunctive therapies as appropriate, education reinforcement at every visit, referrals as required.
- 30 Day Wound Maintenance Program – Our unique and essential after-care program ensures the client’s best opportunity to maintain wound closure in the immediate high-risk 30-day period and beyond. Clients are educated on acceptable phases of returning to use of the affected area/limb, ongoing prevention/off-loading, orthotics/footwear referrals, as well as supplied with 30 days of protective dressings to maximize their wound healing. Clients are then normally transitioned to our preventative High Risk Foot Care Program.
New Approach. New Results.
Question: To date Accelerated has a 99% success rate at healing chronic wounds, where traditional treatment has often failed after months or years. To what does Accelerated attribute their success?
At Accelerated, our philosophy of treatment is comprehensive, yet simple. We believe a chronic wound is a symptom of a greater problem, which our team works diligently to solve. Our holistic, client centered approach combines a variety of disciplines to create a comprehensive High-Risk Foot Team.
Whether the client is seeking treatment for a fracture, injury, foot problem or wound, the approach is the same. We begin by assessing when, where, how and why the injury or wound occurred. We then identify and assist to remove barriers to healing, such as: mobility, excess pressure to the injured area, ill-fitting footwear, circulation and sensation deficiencies, mental health and other lifestyle challenges, such as diet, exercise and blood sugar control. There is no “magic” dressing that will address all these common issues.
Additionally, we explore and offer affordable, innovative options to augment the body’s natural ability to heal itself with a variety of treatments to improve circulation to the injured area and to remove non-viable tissue at the injured site; called debridement. We tirelessly work with every client to find solutions which work for them to get them back to life, work and play. Faster.
At Accelerated’s Learning Centre, our passion is to share what we do with other health care professionals around the world for the benefit of patients everywhere. Each thoughtful course discusses one or more aspects to our approach to fracture, wound, injury healing and foot care.
To see examples of our work treating wounds and injuries, please visit our Case Studies.